Tonight, in my group, I chatted about technology use and how to control it rather than it controlling you!
Here are some tips that you might like to try in your family:
1) Have boundaries that all of you stick to. These should be agreed by everyone in the family and if your children are old enough, they might even help to create them. This is a personal thing that will depend upon your family (and we are all different!). Here are some ideas to get you started:
* Technology free after _____ O'Clock.
* When the device is not in use have a 'home' for it rather than having it out habitually.
* Meal times are technology free.
2) Be intentional- be aware of what you are consumning yourself. Do you have any groups or friends that make you feel negative or icky? Unfollow them!
3) Be respectful of each others use. If your child is playing on a game or watching a program, accept that they won't be able to just turn it off with no warning. Have an agreement with them- Either an amount of time left or when the game or programme is finishes.
4) Join their world. If a child is absorbed in a programme or a game, sit with them and be interested in it, they are more likely to transition out of it if they have that connection with you.
5) Take time each day to connect without technology, even if it is just 15 minutes, make it special.
In my blog, I reflect honestly about my experiences of trying to enhance the well-being of my own children.